Backup Software Reviews
Compressing files, folders, and programs decreases their size and
reduces the amount of space they use on your drives or removable
storage devices. Drive compression decreases the amount of space used
by all of the files and folders stored on that drive. Windows supports
two types of compression: NTFS compression and compression using the
Windows XP Zip Folders
- Folders that are compressed using the Compressed (zipped) Folders
feature use less drive space and can be transferred to other computers
more quickly. You can work with a compressed folder and the files or
programs it contains just as you would with an uncompressed folder.
Zip files remain compressed on both FAT and NTFS drives.
- Once you have created a compressed folder (identified by the
zipper on the folder icon), you can compress files, programs, or other
folders by dragging them to it. You can open files directly from
compressed folders, or you can extract files before opening them.
- You can run some programs directly from zipped compressed folders,
without decompressing them. However, to run programs that are
dependent on other files, you must first extract them.
- Zipped compressed files and folders can be moved to any drive or
folder on your computer, the Internet, or your network, and they are
compatible with other file compression programs. You can also share
Zip files with other users.
- You can protect zipped compressed folders with a password. This
protects your data if you save it in a shared network folder, attach
it to an e-mail message, or move it between work and home on floppy
- Windows also offers another way to compress folders if your drive
is formatted as NTFS: NTFS file compression. However, NTFS file
compression is significantly different from compressing into Zip
files. Installing a different compression program to Windows will
remove Compressed (zipped) Folders from the right-click menu choices
and replace it with the new compression program's icon.
To extract files from a Zip file
, and then locate the compressed file.
- Do one of the following:
- To extract a single file or folder, double-click the Zip file to open it. Then, drag the file or folder from the compressed file to a new location.
- To extract all files or folders, right-click the Zip file, and then click Extract All. In the Extraction Wizard, specify where you want to store the extracted files.
PC Magazine Editors' Choice
PC World Best Buy
What is Argentum Backup? Argentum Backup is an alternative
backup solution, which is available for free online download! Download
your copy now and see if it works for you! Argentum Backup is a handy,
small backup program that lets you back up your documents and
folders quickly and much easier! Argentum Backup safely
protects you from accidental deletes, overwrites, viruses, and
computer failures. Argentum Backup is fast and very easy to use.
- Argentum Backup includes a number of built-in, patented
templates to back up Windows registry, Windows desktop settings,
Outlook folders, e-mail messages and address book, database of your
favorite messenger: ICQ, MSN, Yahoo!, and AOL. The program is fully
compatible with all of the currently available Microsoft Windows
systems: 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, Server, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
- Argentum Backup is suitable for both beginners and
advanced users. Advanced features include powerful stacking,
file masks, adjustable backup store, native file copying mode,
different backup strategies and more. You can store backups in regular
Zip files and create them both manually and automatically, using the
schedule. Argentum Backup was designed around and built for end users.
A key design goal for the product was to ensure that users spend their
time accomplishing their objectives, rather than worrying about or
having to manage their backup software.
- Most intuitive backup software ever. Extremely user-friendly and very easy to use.
- Extremely compact, fast and reliable.
- Simply creates Zip (or Zip64) files.
- Back up specific file locations on any Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 10, fully automatically, with a rich set of built-in backup templates.
- Argentum Backup is cheap but good. $39 only if you use this opportunity today!
[ To the top ]